They are the basic principles of the body, earth universe and cosmos.
1. Air/ wind
- Gaseous state of matter
- Attribute is mobility
- No any form
- It indicates mobility and dynamic.
- 6 % of composition
- In the body the wind element is responsible for the respiratory system and necessary for all energy transfers as air is the key element needed for fire to burn.
- Wind connects to the skin which perceives touch
The field from which everything is manifested and into which everything returns space in which the event occurs. No physical existence.
- 6 % of composition
- Exists only as the distance that separate mater.
- The element of ether represents the space in which everything takes place.
- Present in hollow cavities within body and empty areas of cosmos, transmits sound, non-resistant to anything, friction less or smooth, subtle, Soft, abundant..
3. Fire/ Agni
Power that can convert a substance from solid to liquid to gas or vice versa.
- Characteristic attribute is transformation
- In the body it is responsible for digestion and perception
- 4% of composition
- property- hot, sharp, intense, dry, light. It emits light and heat.
- Any food, diet, exercise, herbs which has similar properties will increase this element in our body. For example- Chillies, Ginger, Garlic, Peppers, will increase “Pitta” or Fire element ” in the body.
- Light, Dry, Subtle, Mobile, Transparent, Rough are the properties of Air. It is responsible for movement, dryness in the body.
- Liquid state of matter
- Substance without stability.
- it indicates change or instability.
- Water is responsible for the fluid metabolism in the body, therefore blood, lymph and other fluids are considered as water elements.
- 72% of composition
- Property- moist, cohesive or sticky, cool, soft and oily (unctuous).
- Water is present in many foods, milk and herbs as well as in our body.
- Excess of water increases the above mentioned characteristics in our body and decreases the opposite.
- Solid state of matter
- Characteristic attribute is stability, fixity.
- Stable substance
- Bones, teeth, and tissues are all considered as earth elements. Earth connects to the nose and the sense of smell.
- 12% of composition
- Property- It is solid, dense, stable, heavy, hard, dull and slow. It constitutes the solid structures in the universe and our body.
- Any food, exercise, herbs which have similar properties will provide nutrition, support and cause heaviness in the body. It will also improve strength and stability.